> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I saw "Cast Away" last week, and had a question about sundials and the
> > movie.
> > After Tom Hanks has spent several years on a desolate island, he constructs
> > an impressive analemma from a thin beam of light that enters his cave,
> > complete with days of the months.  This would not be hard, if he had a
> > working watch, but I don't think he did.  So, my question is, is this just
> > Hollywood chicanery, or is it really a possible thing to do?  Bill G.  (I
> > need to know, in case my plane goes down in the south Pacific some day).

I haven't seen the film, but if I had a watch  which was accurate to within,
say, a
few
seconds per day (not too ambitious), I would use the beam of light as a transit
sight
a star every night. I would use this to set the watch, having calculated the
length
of a
siderial day as 24 hours times 365.25/366.25. To ensure my eye was always
in the same position, I would place a stone as a backsight or a headrest. I
could
use
the same star for several months, then choose another.
Thus, I would always know the time of midday to within a fraction of a minute,
and
could use this to create a pretty good analemma.

or....

if I knew the eccentricity of the earth's orbit, date of perihelion,
inclination of
the ecliptic
(I could measure this from the sun's altitude changes) and date of the vernal
equinox,
which I might know was March 21st, I could do the whole thing graphically or
mathematically.
That way, I could get to sleep at night.

Without all that information, and lacking a watch, I know of no way to draw an
analemma.

By the way, on what surface did he draw the analemma?

Happy New Year / Millennium to all

Chris Lusby Taylor
Newbury, England
51.4N, 1.3W