The time zone boundaries in North America are quite irregular. Have a look at
<http://www.nrc.ca/inms/time/tze.html> for the current Canadian time zone
maps.
-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, harriet wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>Can anyone clarify American and European time zones for me? I am trying
>to write instructions for setting up a dial which can be used in any
>location.
>
>The NASS dialist's companion gives the meridians for US time zones
>as: Atlantic 60? W
>       Eastern  75? W
>       Central  90?W
>       Mountain 105? W
>       Pacific 120?W
>
>Do all Americans adhere to these time zones, or are some like the French
>who
>like to be one hour ahead of GMT even though France lies within 7.5? of the
>Greenwich
>Meridian?
>
>If I set up a dial in say Pittsburg, Pennsylvania (longitude 80? W) which
>tells local solar time,
>ignoring corrections for the Equation of Time, am I correct in saying that
>it will run 20 minutes slow to Eastern Standard Time as it is 5? west of
>the Eastern time meridian?
>
>Do countries in Europe apart from France adhere to the 'correct' zone?
>What about daylight saving in the US and Europe?
>
>Any help gratefully received.
>
>Harriet James

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/