Hi Mike,

Mike Cowham wrote:

>     We are also involved with a school there, but vertical dials are of
>     no
> use between the tropics.  Has anyone tried an annalemmatic dial
at this
> sort of latitude?

An analemmatic dial is not a nice choice for that latitude. You can
find a lay-out for 15 deg. latitude at my website:
www.biol.rug.nl/maes/sundials/
Click "Analemmatic - extra info" in the main menu and select "The
shape at different latitudes".

As you can see, reading the time is difficult around noon during the
summer half-year, and in early morning and late afternoon during the
entire year.

Have you considered an "inverted" armillary sphere? Examples can
be found at my page "Pole-style - equatorial" in the bottom row of
thumbnails.

Please keep us informed about the results!

Regards, Frans

Frans W. Maes
Peize, The Netherlands
53.1 N, 6.5 E