Hi Bob et al,

"heliochronometer" is indeed listed in the BSS Glossary, under the "Dial types"
category.  The definition given is:

"a precision sundial which incorporates some means to allow it to read civil
(or mean) time.  This is usually achieved by incorporating an EoT cam (as in
the Pilkington and Gibbs heliochronometer) or by projecting an spot of light
onto an analemma.  Note: some authors use the term to describe any precision
sundial"

No doubt this definition could be improved on: I shall watch the views of the
List members with interest.

Regards,

John Davis
-------------------------------

>  from:    Robert Terwilliger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  date:    Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:26:18
>  to:      sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
>  subject: Re: The "heliochronometer"
>
> Fellow dialists,
>
> What does the group think the criteria for a "heliochronometer" should
> be?
>
> Is there a definition? John Davis' most excellent glossary does not
> include the term.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob Terwilliger
>
> -