Hi Mac et al,

Following the previous discussion on this topic, I added "High Noon" to the
draft second edition of the BSS Glossary.

My understanding is  that it derives from the term "haute nones", i.e. the time
during the period of nones when the sun is at its highest.  Since nones is the
early pm period, this makes it the same as our noon.

By contrast, the term "bas nones" would be the time when the sun is lowest
during nones, but luckily we have no equivalent modern term "Low Noon" as that
would really confuse us all!

Regards,

John

> Now and then I run across the phrase "High Noon." Can someone please
> tell me what that means? I didn't find it in John Davis' excellent
> glossary.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Mac Oglesby
> -