And, there is a long, "popular" level article on leap seconds and GPS
(prompted by the recent Motorola GPS receiver problem) in the 22 November
issue of New Scientist now on newsstands.
See also the article "GPS and Leap Seconds: Time to Change?" which appeared in
my Innovation column in GPS World in the November 1999 issue. A PDF file of
the article may be found here:
<http://iraf.noao.edu/~seaman/leap/GPS-Nov99_Innov.pdf>.
-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation
   and Contributing Editor, GPS World Magazine

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Woody Sullivan wrote:

>This article will be of interest to those of you interested in those
>weird leap seconds that sometimes get added to our clocks on New
>Year's Eve due to the unpredictable changes in the Earth's rotation.
>Ironically, amidst discussions of keeping time with the finest atomic
>clocks, one factor in the debate is whether or not anyone cares about
>(equally accurate) local solar time, as measured directly by a
>sundial.
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Leap Second Debate Heats Up  [from "Physics Today", Oct. 2003, p. 34]
>
>Keep leap seconds, and glitches in telecommunications, navigation by
>satellite, and legal marking of time could become more frequent and
>serious. Lose them, and astronomers will have trouble pointing their
>telescopes, and eventually the time of day will get out of sync with
>Earth's rotation.
>
>At the crux of a debate about whether to continue inserting leap
>seconds into Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), the standard in many
>countries, is the unpredictability of Earth's rotation. Millennia-old
>eclipse data show that Earth has long been slowing down. Nowadays,
>Earth's rotation is measured by observing quasars with very long
>baseline radio interferometry. The deceleration is chiefly due to the
>tidal pull of the Moon; fluctuations on shorter time scales come
>from, among other things, the oceans and atmosphere and core-mantle
>interactions.
>

>A leap second every year or two has been the norm, though none has
>been added since 1999, and timekeepers predict that more leap seconds
>will be needed in the future. Without leap seconds, official time
>will diverge from solar time by an estimated two minutes by the end
>of this century; in 3000 years, the drift might be about eight hours.
>
>This month, a special rapporteur group (SRG) will submit its
>recommendations on the leap second to the International
>Telecommunication Union, where the matter will wend its way through
>various committees before a final decision is reached--a process that
>could take years. Says SRG chair Ron Beard, a physicist at the US
>Naval Research Laboratory, "The issue is: Is relating to the solar
>day of significance? And how does that weigh against the problems
>that come with introducing integral seconds?"
>
>Sundials are the only clocks that mark time directly from Earth's rotation.
>Before 1972, clocks were corrected with fractions of seconds and by
>adjusting the length of the second. Since then, leap seconds have
>been added to keep UTC within nine-tenths of a second of solar time
>and synchronized with international atomic time, but with an
>offset--currently 32 seconds. The atomic second is based on the
>frequency of a hyperfine transition in cesium.
>
>But with technology relying increasingly on the precision of atomic
>time, the leap second has come under scrutiny. Abolishing it would
> [...]

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/