Hi all,

I once built a declination-finder based on the dipliedoscope principle.  The
double-view of the sun was observed through a low power telescope, using an
eclipse filter to make this safe.

Mike is right in saying that locating the sun through the telescope is
difficult.  I fitted a simple aperture-and-screen target finder to the top of
the prism box to facilitate initial alignment.  I believe that with Dent's
original devices (I've never handled one) it was a case of getting it set
approximately to the right meridian and altitude before the time for the
observation.

Cheers,

John

>  from:    The Shaws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  date:    Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:18:01
>  to:      sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
>  subject: Re: Using a Dipleidscope
>
> <<I wonder if the original Dipleidscope was painted black?>>
>
> There is a Dent dipleidoscope in the Liverpool Museum that is painted black.
> I persuaded the curator to get it out of display for me to look at on a sunny
> day.
> I couldn't work out how to use it, and felt in danger of blinding myself with
> the reflected sun.
> There must be a trick to it that I had not sorted out.
>
> If I remember correctly, Fred Sawyer showed one at the NASS conference in
> Hartford that his daughter had made, but I didn't get to have a close look at
> it.
>
> Mike Shaw
>
> 53' 22" North
> 03' 02" West