The Radio 4 longwave transmitter is on 198 kHz. Not 198 m mediumwave.
Reception is more or less restricted to Europe.
-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In a message dated 2003/11/27 02:50:54 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>> BBC Radio 4  will carry a 30-minute show on sundials on Saturday, 13
>> December at 1530 GMT.
>>
>> It's of course easy to hear in the UK, but anyone with a Web
>> connection who can stream audio can also listen at
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
>>
>> or through the ether on long wave at 198 meters.
>
>I have a shortwave receiver that picks up BBC on 5975 kHz rather
>well.  Will the program be at that frequency also?  (This ancient
>computer won't handle streaming audio.)
>
>What would the frequency of 198 m be?  Is that a band, rather
>than a frequency?  Haven't heard of that band, but I'm a rank novice
>at this sort of thing.  Let's see... 299792458/198 = 1514 kHz  (Not
>correcting for the refractive index of air.)  Have I messed that up?
>
>Thanks!
>John Bercovitz
>
>-

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/