I have the same article (copy) and a copy of the Scientific American in which it appeared (last page missing). SA didn't mention its month/year on the pages, but it was under the heading of "The Amateur Scientist", the subtitle is: "Atransistorized drive for a telescope and a sundial that keeps accurate time". The article started on page 185 and the last page I have is 197, which is not the last one. Maybe this helps when digging in your index.
Thibaud Chabot

At 20:17 19-04-2004, Roger Bailey wrote:
One article is "A Sundial that Keeps Clock
Time" an excellent description of the Schmoyer sundial. This is one of the
things that got me interested in sundials. The date of the original
Scientific American article is not given and I cannot find it in my index
but I can send you a scanned copy by email if you wish.

Cheers,

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 48.6  W 123.4

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: April 19, 2004 9:10 AM
To: sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Subject: Schmoyer Sunquest

Dear Dialist,

I am trying to obtain some historical information on the Schmoyer Sunquest
sundial; specifically when it was first made and marketed.  Waugh's book
(1973)
discusses the dial, but gives no dates.  Apparantly Frank Cousin's book
(1968)
mentions it, but I do not have a copy. I was hoping someone on the list
might
be able to tell me what it says.  I have a drawing that was sent out with
the
recastings sold at the NASS convention in 1999 dated 1958, but that does not
tell me when the dials became available publicly.  Can any one contribute to
this?

Bill Gottesman

Th. Taudin Chabot, home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]