While on a recent holiday in southern Florida, my wife and I visited the
Salvador Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg <http://www.salvadordalimuseum.org/>.
Currently running is the exhibition "Dalí Centennial: An American Collection"
which celebrates the 100th anniversary of the birth of Dalí. One of the
paintings on display is "Noon (Barracks Port Lligat)" which Dalí
painted in 1954 <http://dali.karelia.ru/html/works/1954_07.htm>. The painting
shows a vertical sundial on the wall of the barracks. Can any of our Spanish
colleagues tell us if the building and the sundial still exist?

Of course, Dalí was no stranger to sundials as witnessed by his famous sundial
at 27, rue Saint-Jacques, Paris 5ème arrondissement
<http://www2.iap.fr/saf/csmp/arr5n/centrea51.html> constructed in 1968.

The image on the sundial bears a bit of a resemblance to his 1966 painting
"Self Portrait Sundial"
<http://www.elainefineart.com/dali/self_portrait_sundial.htm>

Are there any other Dalí sundials -- real or painted?

-- Richard Langley

P.S. Fredericton is home to Dalí's huge Satiago El Grande. It is on
permanent display in the city's Beaverbrook Art Gallery
<http://www.beaverbrookartgallery.org/>, one of 4 Dalí paitings it owns. The
gallery was a gift to New Brusnwick from its native son Lord Beaverbrook (Sir
Max Aitken) who served in the wartime cabinet of Winston Churchill. Lord
Beaverbrook was chancellor of my university from 1947 until his death in 1964.

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/