WGS 84 ellipsoid semi-major (equatorial) axis: 6 378 137.0 m
                 semi-minor (polar) axis:      6 356 752.3142 m
(biaxial ellipsoid or just ellipsoid is the preferred (at least in North
America) term for spheroid)

What kind of differences might you see when comparing great circle routes on
an approximating sphere with geodesics on the ellipsoid? As an example, the
distance between Washington and L.A. on the sphere is approximately 3711 km.
On the ellipsoid, it is 3719 km.

Here are the expressions for computing the distance in km for one degree of
latitude or longitude on the WGS 84 ellipsoid as a function of latitude, phi:
lat = 111.13295 - 0.55982Cos 2 phi + 0.00117Cos 4 phi
long = 111.41288 Cos phi - 0.09350 Cos 3 phi + 0.00012 Cos 5 phi

See "Navigation 101: Basic Navigation with a GPS Receiver"
<http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/papers.pdf/gpsworld.october00.pdf> for further
details.

"Navigate" is a handy application for computing geodesics on various
ellipsoids for PDAs using the Palm OS:
<http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/navigate/index.html>

-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation