I had a chance over the weekend to get back to my statistics
package and follow up Fer de Vries' sharp-eyed observation that the
problem with my plotting of the locus of the intersection of bifilar
threads was that the software had used different scales for X and Y
axes.  Of course!  Fer was right.  I've now made them as equal as I can
by estimation, and as the attached figure indicates, the hour angles are
now equal.  Thank you, Fer!

   I also checked my 'second question' and think it was a transcribing
error...

    best wishes,

    Peter

--
Peter Mayer
Politics Department

and contains information which may be confidential and/or
copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents
of this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
please notify the sender by reply email and delete this
email and any copies or links to this email completely and
immediately from your system.  No representation is made
that this email is free of viruses.  Virus scanning is

Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:Bifilar-35 degrees3.gif (GIFf/JVWR)
(000C9B7C)