Tony:
Isn't IIII the clockmaker's IV? Apparently introduced since it "balances"
VIII although that's not a theory that is without problems since other
numbers on the clock face are not balanced. While not necessarily
authoratative, see
<http://www.wilkiecollins.demon.co.uk/roman/clockface.htm>.
-- Richard

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, tony moss wrote:

>Fellow Shadow Watchers,
>                       I've just noticed that the BBC TV News credit
>titles include the date as MMIV.  Should this be MMIIII?  I recall being
>'smacked' by a BSS lady member for using a 'clock makers' IV' in my early
>attempt at Roman numerals some years ago.
>
>Tony Moss
>-

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/