You're right to think that any 17th century dial is at risk if left outside - not just by theft but also by continuing erosion by acid rain.

The correct thing to do is to move the original dial inside the house where it can be properly secured and looked after.  It could be replaced outside by either a replica or a copy/reproduction:-

replica: an exact copy made by making a silicone mould from the original and using that as a basis for moulding a bronze/brass resin version.

copy or reproduction: redesigned and made from scratch in brass/bronze, using measurements and photographs of the original as the basis for the design.

The former is likely to be cheaper but not as long-lasting as the latter.  The replica will match the existing condition of the original (down to the smallest scratch) but the colour of the patination is difficult to match exactly.  The reproduction/copy will look more like the original did when it was new.

At the risk of posting a commercial, I could produce either form if required!

Regards,

John

Frank Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Greetings fellow dialists,

I am seeking advice about a country house pedestal dial of the seventeenth
century. It is a valuable dial by a known maker and stands in the estate
grounds, which are open to the public. The administrator of the estate is
aware that the dial is at risk of theft and has asked for advice. English
Heritage (an official body) have been consulted. They felt that the dial was
in its "proper place" and should not be moved but they, too, felt the risk
of theft was present.

The administrator has asked me to advise them and is aware that some cost
would accrue in protecting the dial. They wonder, perhaps, whether a copy
might be created and what would be involved. Or any other suggestion that
would be helpful.

Can anyone help? If you would prefer to send me a private message that would
be OK.

Frank 55N 1W

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---