Title: Re: S. Maria Novella
This from John Lynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> who has asked me to pass it on, writing me that
   "I'd like to share this with the Sundial Mailing List, but for reasons which
elude me I am not permitted to do so from the above email address because my
sundial messages come to a forwarding address [EMAIL PROTECTED] from which I
cannot send outgoing mail."

***

"You'll find the explanation in an article by Giovanni Paltrinieri 'The
"astronomical quadrant of Santa Maria Novella in Florence: planetary and
"canonical hours'.  Bulletin of the British Sundial Society 91.2, July 1991.

"His translation of the lettering on the east side of the supporting bracket
"is -
"By diligent observation, the distance between the Tropics is found to be 46
deg 57' 39" 50', and the Obliquity of the Ecliptic is thus 23 deg 28' 49'
55'"

"Not sure I can understand this, but I get the general drift."
--

[BT]