Merton (near Watton, Norfolk) isn't too far from me so I'll try to get along there.  Churches are often locked these days so I will try to make a contact first.

Watch this space..

Regards,

John
-------------------------------------

John Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Boy am I having a good day!  I think I've just found the lost Merton Church stained glass sundial that was also in the Behrendt Videotapes and article. It's located at St. Peter's Church in Merton, Norfolk England.

I saw this website ( http://www.wayland.org.uk/site/site/Merton/church ) and buried in the website text is this sentence:

"A curiosity will be found in a south aisle window. It is a representation in stained glass of the passing hours with a Latin tag, suggesting that "while we talk time flies", and in the corner a spider is busy catching a fly."

In Behrendt's article he says that it's latin motto says ""dum loquimur fugit hors" , and I'm pretty sure this translates into "while we talk time flies".

So that proves it.  It is the missing Merton Church Dial!

Even in our horrible photograph you can see that it's quite beautiful.

I'm hinting that we need better photos of this one too.  Do any of you live in Norfolk?

(By the way, I'm confused if Merton is the town or if Wayland is the town in Norfolk.)

Dr J R Davis
Flowton Dials
N52d 08m: E1d 05m