uropean firm called Vitramet who arranged for the enamelling to be done in Mexico - a very large furnace was needed!

The story of the dials is in the Bulletin of the British Sundial Society, September 2004.

Regards,

John
--------------------------------

John Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello all:

I've been investigating the best and most durable materials for the sundial faces of my sundial cupola design.

I've discovered this:

1. Even the best enamel paints chip, wear off and fade.
2. Baked powder coat paints are much more durable but you can not easily paint more than one color or a design on top of another color. You can not overglaze, (put another layer of powdercoat over a base layer).
3. Porcelain has a great advantage in that it can be overglazed with different colors of vitreous paints and refired.  So porcelain painting is similar to glass painting in that you can paint it with a permanent overglaze of different colored paints that do not fade, chip or flake off.  It's practically weather-proof!

Many old clock faces were made on painted porcelain for these very good reasons.

There are companies who will paint and fire your sundial design on porcelain. They can make stencils from your design drawings or they can paint by hand.  I even found one company that has a photographic technique of applying paint to porcelain. (and it's here in Tucson!)

Have any of you ever seen a painted porcelain sundial?

Here are a couple of good websites about porcelain painting (also known as "china painting").

http://www.china-painting-list.com/fullsrch.html
http://www.porcelainpainters.com/
http://www.porcelain-industries.com/porcelain-industries/porcelain-industries.htm

John L. Carmichael