The following text was originally sent to Dr. Arthur Carlson
but not to the rest of the sundial list-members on 8/22/96.
As Dr. Carlson placed his response to this on the list
8/23/96, I thought that the next exchange(s) would be more
intelligible to others if this message were avalable to them.

Begin copy of 8/22/96 message:
Yo Art,

Incidentally (a word meaning, here comes a nitpick,)on
8/15/96 @ 06:39 you wrote:

>On an astronomical level, the equinox is the *instant*
>when the sun lies in the equatorial plane of the earth.

My ancient (1964)"Nortons Star Atlas" is informative re
actual astronomical practice.  I cite part of it as better
stated than my own words would be: "...the True or Apparent
Equinox, or The Equinox of any date --- moves westward on
the Ecliptic 1/7th second of arc every day, but is neverthe-
less the most convenient point for the purpose, as the Sun's
position in the sky, measured from it, remains practically
the same on a given day for thousands of years, by the leap
year arrangements of the calendar, though those of the stars
slowly change.  'Vernal Equinox,' WHEN USED IN CONNECTION
WITH MEASUREMENTS, always means this moving True Equinox,
but the LITERAL Vernal (Spring) Equinox is the instant when
the Sun's centre actually crosses the Celestial equator."
(My upper case in lieu of the italics causa internet.)

The Pisces-Aries transition, or First Point of Aries, as
also Virgo-Libra in autumn, refer to 12 "Sign" sectors, each
30 degrees long, into which the Ecliptic is divided.  These
Sign labels do not relate to the similarly named actual
constellations.  The Pisces-Aries point is therefor, 180 deg
away from the Vernal Equinox.  In these ecliptic coordinates
used, the sun has a very small latitude (very roughly 0.005
deg) for the 1997 Autumnal Equinox which results (due to the
low rate of change) in a difference of a bit over 20 mins.
of time earlier for zero declination, than for the event if
measured per the above convention as used for almanacs, etc..

Cheers,

Bill.
--
To study,.. and study,....and to perish. Anonymus Bosh
End of Copy

W. Maddux