> > It seems to me it would work, but I can't see any
> > advantages over a cylindrical gnomon.
>
> I just tried the shadows of a knife edge and of a
> 3/4" diameter rod and they look about equally sharp.
> I should do a more careful experiment, but to first
> order, it appears to be true.

Indeed so, at equal distances you get equal fuzz, but
this misses the main point...

  With a rod you can readily estimate the centre of
  the shadow ignoring the (approximately equal) fuzz
  on either side.  With a knife edge you have to
  estimate where in the fuzz is the true centre-line
  of the shadow of the edge.  This is error prone
  and, to some extent, subjective.

I say `spare the rod and spoil the sundial'.

Frank King
Cambridge, U.K.