To: <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: AW: Clever stuff!

I too have seen this technique used over the past four or five years. The son
of a friend was busy developing the technique with his company then.  Such
pieces have been commonly sold as paperweights and ornamental pieces for quite a
while.

In fact last year there was a company in a local shopping Mall (Milton Keynes in the UK) who were producing 3d portraits while you waited. They took a couple of photographs which were scanned and then about 15 minutes later, hey presto , a 3d portrait inside a glass paperweight. They were doing great business. But as
for a sundial, I don't think so, call me a sceptic.

Terry

Quoting Hannes Kühtreiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

this laser engraving technique is not new at all, I remember seeing
some pieces more then five years ago, and they were nothing new then.
however, due to legal disputes about the patent the method is not -or
has not been- widely used.

I am not sure it would be very useful for sundials. You'd have to
produce a very tight layer of dots to show the shadow well. While the
newer machines can produce much finer dots (I think the piece in your
picture was made by an older model), they are still far from it.

why not sandblast the backside of a plate of glass?

hannes