A new hypothesis   :- )

If we move a dial holding it parallel to itself, we can bring it in a point on
the Earth's surface in which it is horizontal (Equivalent Point)

The longitude of the equivalent point of a vertical declining plane (longitude
related to the place in which   is the dial) is given by  the same formula that
gives the hour angle of the substyle line:

tan(Long_Eq)=tan(Decl)/sin(Lat)

For this reason the value found by Fer de Vries (35.7504) is also the value of
the longitude of the equivalent point.

Since the letter I (in PI Long.)   can be the  lower-case L , the writing could
be read as "Plane Longitude" or the longitude of the plane parallel to the dial
and tangent to the Earth's surface.

Luckily we are in many to have a fervent imagination    J

Best

Gianni Ferrari