Hi Tom,
Do you mean the large 50th Anniversary dial? From photos on the Internet I
don't see an analemma. For instance, see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ClarkCollegeSundial.jpg

However, a 3D analemma is certainly possible on an armillary dial, although it
is far from easy to make as it is in two tear-drop-shaped parts which meet at
their points. Theoretically, you should have two analemmas - one for each half
of the year. But in practice you might get away with one, since the two are
very similar, to within a minute or two.

The formula for the gnomon is very complex, but approximately its longitudinal
cross-section is the same as any other analemma in a polar plane. At a distance
R.tan(dec) from the plane of the dial it needs to have a circular cross-section
of radius R.sin(EoT) where R is the dial radius, dec is the sun's declination
and EoT is the mean absolute value of the Equation of Time for the date(s) with
that declination, expressed as an angle. For instance in May when dec=15
degrees, EoT=2m54s which is 0.725 degrees (at 15 degrees/hour), so, the radius
should be R.sin(0.725) at a distance R.tan(15) above the dial plane. For a dial
radius of 1 metre, that's only 13mm, so pretty narrow.

For any date you do need to know which edge of the shadow you are reading, but
the analemma does not need moving periodically, except, as I said, that the two
analemmas need to be swapped every six months. With a single analemma it might
be possible to make it such that its section isn't circular, but two 'D's
back-to-back. This would allow a better approximation, especially in winter.

Much easier to make, but requiring a moving part to be turned whenever the dial
is read, is a gnomon in the form of a metal plate with the analemma cut out of
it. The plate must be rotated to be at right angles to the sun. A similar but
(unnecessarily, I believe,) complex solution is the Schmoyer dial which has a
3D casting with S-shaped slits.

If you have a photo of the analemma gnomon at Clark College, perhaps you could
post a link to it, please, or email it privately.

Chris Lusby Taylor
51.4N 1.3W