From: John Carmichael <jlcarmich...@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Analemma origins.
To: "'JOHN DAVIS'" <john.davi...@btopenworld.com>
Cc: "'sundial'" <sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Date: Sunday, 15 November, 2009, 18:40

Hi John D:

You said:

<)? I haven't been able to find one prior to 1900 though I feel there must be one somewhere.

Take a look at this wonderful old etched glass dial made in 1788 at The Royal Castle in Warsaw Poland

Stained Glass Sundial website at:  http://www.advanceassociates.com/Sundials/Stained_Glass/sundials_EGP.html

Look closely at the high definition original photos at the bottom and you will see the finely etched figure-of-eight analemma!  This is the oldest one I know of.

http://www.advanceassociates.com/Sundials/Stained_Glass/sundials_files/New%20Files/Thumbs/SGS_147t3.jpg

Dial 147

The King Poniatowski Dial

Maker: Made by Jean François Richer, an artist, French astronomer and Instrument maker for the king, Stanislas Augustus Poniatowski.