Roger:
now that I've got the solar-eclipse problem solved, is there an equivalent
book for lunar eclipses?
BTW, while I'm using the full VSOP87D theory to predict the position of the
Sun, it turns out that I can get quite respectable results using the
simplified model of the Sun's longitude that appears in Meeus's
"Astronomical Algorithms". (For the position of the Moon, I'm using Meeus's
model in "Algorithms"). Also, the besselian elements as recorded in Meeus's
"Elements of Solar Eclipses" are (in the case of the variables x, y, and d)
computational overkill. The quadratic and cubic terms for x and y are 5
orders of magnitude smaller than the linear term, and for d, the quadratic
term is always very close to zero. This shows that it's really safe to
ignore those terms, which I've chosen to do with no ill effects. I've
compared the maps I get to those on the NASA website and they're (visually
at least) indistinguishable.
Brad

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Roger W. Sinnott <rsinn...@post.harvard.edu