The way I understand the geolocation device is that dawn rises at the
same time along different longitudes. If you know what time sunrise is
and how long the day is on a particular day you know your latitude as
well as your longitude.

On a deserted island, the time of sunrise is the number of hours
before high solar noon....and maybe half way between sunrise and sunset.

This manual seems to indicate these concepts:
http://www.wildlifecomputers.com/Downloads/Documentation/WC-GPE%20Suite%20Manual.pdf

It's because of the tilt of the earth?