From: sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On
Behalf Of Chris Lusby Taylor
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 2:41 AM
Subject: Re: Multignomon Sundial

Something I'm planning to do but haven't yet done, to secure a sculpture to
its plinth, is to drill two or more holes at different angles into both. A
deep hole in the dial, shallower in the plinth. Then, stainless steel pins
could be put in the deep holes, the sculpture/dial moved to the correct
position, the pins should drop down into the shallow holes and hold the
dial. The only way to get it off would be to turn the whole thing upside
down. To drill the holes, I'd make two jigs by clamping two pieces of
laminate and drilling right through them at skew angles. Has anyone tried
this? Glue would be simpler but too permanent for the sculpture I have in
mind. I used a similar method to hold the gnomon of the dial I showed at the
BSS Exeter conference last year.

Chris

51.4N, 1.3W