And why are the tides better some places then elsewhere. Its mostly to do with the physical geography and shape of the land below the water. If there are any geologists on the list, Im sure they can explain things better than I can. But from what i remember every container as a 'resonant frequency'. A small bottle has a high frequency, if you blow across the top like wwe all did as a kid. A larger bottle has a lower frequency, etc. The largest tides in the world are in the Bay of Fundy, Canada. It turns out that the resonant frequency of that bay is just about 2 cycles per day - very low, but the same frequency as the tides. The bay of fundy tends to suck its tides in and toss its tides out just because of its shape!

David Patte
RelativeData.com

On 2011-07-03 20:55, Brent wrote:
Hello again;

I ask because there are a lot of very smart people on this list.

It seems odd to me that the moon just happens to be the right size and the right distance between the earth and the sun to do the perfect eclipse. Is this just coincidence or is there some good reason for that?

Also, they say the moon is responsible for our tides and our waves. Why are the waves so much bigger in California and New Zealand than in Thailand or the Philippines?
Their surf is pathetic.

thanks;
brent