The article mentioned is:
Sara Schechner, "The material culture of astronomy in daily life:  Sundials,
science, and social change,"  Journal for the History of Astronomy 32 (2001):
189-222.

It can be found online here:  http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/2001JHA....32..189S
And here:  http://www.antique-horology.org/_Editorial/schechner.pdf

More information along the lines of this essay will be included in the
forthcoming catalogue of sundials and timefinding instruments at the Adler
Planetarium and Astronomy Museum in Chicago, which I am writing.   (After that
is complete, I have plans to write a book, _Sundials, Science, and Social
Change_.)

Sara

42°21'N, 71°13'W

Sara J. Schechner, Ph.D.
David P. Wheatland Curator of the Collection of Historical Scientific
Instruments
Department of the History of Science, Harvard University
Science Center 251c, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Tel: 617-496-9542   |   Fax: 617-496-5932   |
sche...@fas.harvard.edu<mailto:sche...@fas.harvard.edu>
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hsdept/chsi.html