From: sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On
Behalf Of Frank King
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:41 AM
To: Mac Oglesby
Cc: sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Subject: Re: Proceedings for Future of UTC meeting

Dear Mac,

You say:

> May I ask a stupid question?

They are often the best.  Remember the recent
thread started by someone who thought it wrong
to imagine that the sun moved across the sky?

[I didn't respond to that one, but insisting
that the sun stays in the same place would
mean you couldn't say "Oh, what a beautiful
sunset."  You would have to say "Oh, look at
that beautiful horizon-rise" instead!]

> What was wrong with AD and BC?

There are strange people who seem to suffer
an attack of the vapours when they come across
anything hinting at religion.

This pretty much rules out studying a good
many subjects.  You can't study architecture,
astronomy and certainly sundials for very
long without coming across Egyptian gods,
Greek gods, Roman gods, Christian practices,
Muslim practices and all the rest.

In the case of AD there is the additional
problem that it stands for two Latin words
and other strange people think that using
a dead language isn't user-friendly.

They won't get far studying the history of
science either!

Happily, Latin isn't quite dead.  I am one
of 40 or so people in my neck of the woods
who is actually paid to declaim Latin in
public (loudly and with enthusiasm!).

Enjoy your 2011 Christmas.

Now just what was it that was going on
2011 years ago?