There is more of a description of that dial at
http://www.diduknow.info/sun/san6.html#.  It is a horizontal dial of which
the gnomon has been broken off.  It is for use during daytime and at night.
 I presume the rotating plate allows adjustment for telling time by the
moon, depending where the moon is in its ~30 day synodic period.
-Bill

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM, J. Tallman <jtall...@artisanindustrials.com