I classify sundials into three principal categories-those that find time from
the sun's hour angle; those that use the sun's azimuth; and those that use the
sun's altitude-plus various combinations of two out of the three.   In the
first category, we generally subdivide dials according to the plane on which
the shadow is projected-i.e., horizontal, vertical, equatorial, polar,  etc.

Sundials that project the sun's hour angle onto a plane parallel to the equator
are equatorial dials.  These include many forms such as the universal
equatorial dial, the Augsburg-type dial, those with an armillary or crossed-Cs
form, mechanical equatorial dials, and more.  The convention in the US is to
call all of these  equatorial dials.

In the United Kingdom, it is a convention to call them equinoctial dials.
This is perhaps because the celestial equator is often called the equinoctial
circle in the UK and the equinoctial circle/celestial equator are in the same
plane as the terrestrial equator

I prefer the label "equatorial" because it is a typology  constructed in
parallel to the others (horizontal, vertical, polar) which refer to an
orientation on the earth and don't mix in celestial  designations.

Cheers,
Sara

Sara J. Schechner, Ph.D.
David P. Wheatland Curator of the Collection of Historical Scientific
Instruments
Department of the History of Science, Harvard University
Science Center 251c, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Tel: 617-496-9542   |   Fax: 617-496-5932   |
sche...@fas.harvard.edu<mailto:sche...@fas.harvard.edu>
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hsdept/chsi.html