Dear Roger,

Sara's message merits serious study!

We here in Europe weren't totally asleep
in medieval times or even in the so-called
dark ages following the Fall of Rome.

[A fair proportion of Europe seems to be
falling asleep just now but that's not the
period you are referring to :-) ]

There is a street in a town in Italy (probably
Perugia but my memory may have failed me)
where there are examples of architecture of
every century from the first to the 20th.

This is a very convincing way of seeing the
continuity of design and craftsmanship.

A quite different way of pondering continuity
in Europe is to look at the complete list of
Popes at:

 http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

There is a biography of each one.  Things
really were going on even at times that
historians seem not to have popularised.

Take Pope 33 for example, S. Sylvester.
He may or may not have convened the Council
of Nicea in 325 but he took part in it.

This Council discussed how to determine the
date of Easter which motivated much study of
the length of the year.

Pope 227, Gregory XIII, set up the commission
which gave us the current calendar and led
to the setting up of the Vatican Observatory
which is one of the oldest astronomical
research outfits in continuous existence.

Pope 244, Clement XI, commissioned the great
meridiana in the Basilica di S. Maria degli
Angeli in Rome, again to study the length of
the year.

Now I need a nap.

All the best

Frank