Dear All,

I am delighted that so many readers explored
the amusing problem of how long the sun can
fall on a north-facing wall.

I liked the diagrams that Roger and Helmut
prepared.

The different approaches led to much the same
answers, including Roger's once he had looked
at the correct side of the wall!

Willy says:

  You're right.
  Never and nowhere a vertical wall can receive
  sunlight over a longer period of time in a day.

Helmut adds:

  Further on the pdf shows that the maximum of sun
  on a south wall is 12:00 hours but, at equinox
  not on summer solstice.

This needs interpretation...

For the maximum sun on a vertical *south* wall you
have to place it on the ANTarctic circle where you
get the same answer!

Helmut is right that a south-facing wall gets
12 hours of sun at an equinox.  This is true
for any south-facing vertical wall in the
northern hemisphere.  You won't get 12 hours
on the south side in the southern hemisphere!

Alas, here it is raining so no sun at all, and in
half an hour I am leading 20 visiting academics on
a sundial walk walk:-(

Enjoy the sun if you have it!

Frank King
Cambridge, U.K.