Roderick Wall.

From: Helmut Sonderegger (Tele2)
Sent: ‎Tuesday‎, ‎October‎ ‎15‎, ‎2013 ‎12‎:‎17‎ ‎AM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de

Hi Roderick,

I like Willys new sundial too.  It looks beautifully.

I included this sundial construction a longer time ago in my software SONNE and
discussed different cylinder sundials in Compendium vol 16 nr. 4 (Dec 2009). In
my freeware Sonne.exe you can construct the sundial for the outside of a
cylinder with fixed orientation and moveable horizontal gnomon (see image
below). Now Willy has positioned the Gnomon  in the central axis of the
cylinder and so the gnomon length is equal the radius and nee not be turned
around. The construction stays the same but the scale is positioned on the
Northern part of the vertical cylinder instead of South.

By the way: Woody Sulllivan made a very similar construction on the outer side
of a cone ( http://sundials.org/index.php/component/sundials/onedial/746 )

Helmut Sonderegger
www.helson.at