Hello David:

My suggestion would be to make an typical vertical east sundial and add a
simple moonlight time conversion chart with simple instructions.

I often make horizontal dials with these charts carved into the dial face.
Perhaps the most famous of these sundials with moonlight time conversion
charts is the big blue wall dial at Queens College in Cambridge.
http://www.quns.cam.ac.uk/queens/images/sundial.html

Here is a copy of the moonlight conversion chart- "Telling Time by Moon
Shadows"  that appears in my Sundial Owner's Manual. (see attachment).  Feel
free to use it or modify it as needed for your project.

Here is the text from the Manual that I wrote to explain how to read
sundials by moon shadows. You may copy or use any of this if you want:

MOONLIGHT READINGS
If you look at the movement of the moon during the course of a night and its
position in the sky, you will see
that it pretty much follows the same path as the sun. We all have seen that
on a full moon, the moon is opposite
the sun near the horizon at sunrise or sunset. We see the full moon rise as
the sun sets. Therefore, when there is
a full moon, it will act like the sun at night, casting a shadow and showing
sundial time. Since the moon's orbital
plane is tilted 5 degrees with respect to the earth-sun plane, a good
reading can be off by as much as 45
minutes.
Every night, we see that the moon has moved east in the sky and that the
phases change. The phase that the
moon is in is proportional to its age. We can find out the exact age of the
moon in almost any calendar or we
can estimate its age by looking at the phase. The easterly distance which
the moon moves away from the sun
each night decreases the time shown on the sundial by about two minutes an
hour, or 48 minutes a day. This
means that on a full moon, no corrections will have to be made, but the
night after a full moon, you must add
48 minutes to sundial time. If your "moondial" says it is 12 midnight, it is
actually 12:48. The moon time on
your sundial runs "fast" before a full moon, and "slow" after a full moon.
In order to use the chart (Fig. 6) to
make a moonlight reading, first determine the number of days the moon is
from being full, using either a calendar
or by looking at the moon phase. If the date is within two weeks before a
full moon, the moon is fast and
you subtract the correction. If the date is after the full moon, then moon
time is slow and you must add the correction.
Finally, for more accuracy, correct for the Equation of Time and use the
EXACT age of the moon in
the calculation. Interesting note: The sundial will show perfect time on the
nights on or near a partial or total
lunar eclipse because the earth, the sun and the moon are in perfect
alignment! Note: You can't tell time by
moonlight on analemmatic sundials.

Good Question,

John