From: sundial [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of
ml...@interia.pl
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:19 PM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: unique French diptych dial

Dear Diallists,

The topic of the last, Jubilee edition of the BSS Bulletin is “decoration on
sundials”.
Interestingly, as post scriptum for Bulletin’s topic, in local French auction
house sale recently appeared an unusual and early diptych sundial of most
attractive look and complex furniture.

Please find below link to my dropbox folder with detailed photos obtained by
the courtesy of the auction house SVV DUPONT & Associés:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7clcl1w3f3rcrr/diptych%20dial.zip<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7clcl1w3f3rcrr/diptych%2520dial.zip&k=AjZjj3dyY74kKL92lieHqQ%3D%3D%0A&r=Y3uaNkd%2BN%2BBEMo7BAxbEQqOqpMk6uxYnCJsB4uxugzo%3D%0A&m=E1LrTg4TGA2zeq7cqBqqMjgn5avebzhqPITyzKrY5Ag%3D%0A&s=a7bb905393baec803d2e66711ba20274d027378561afdd89d0f0d5f9479898e9>
The instrument, based on the inscription relating to epacts can be dated late
16th century and is unique example by many means – substantial size 19.5 x 11.8
cm, quality of engraved decoration rarely seen on ivory due to limitations
coming from material characteristics and very complex furniture. Interestingly
it doesn’t follow Dieppe patterns, being closer to Nuremberg dials – but in
many respects its style is unique.
The dial, despite holiday time, local French auctioneer and its incompleteness,
was sold today well above 50k Euros ! It is likely that it was bought by a
private collector and may not be exposed to public, so I wanted to share it
with You as it looks obviously to be an important example of a diptych and of
enigmatic origin.
I hope that French diallists will study it in detail and drop us some more
light on it !
Good viewing,
Maciek Lose