      From: John Pickard <john.pick...@bigpond.com>
 To: Sundial List <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
 Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:11 PM
 Subject: 3D printers

Good morning,

There was some discussion on the list a few months ago about 3D printers.

One of the leading electronics stores in Australia is now selling DIY kits
for a small 3D printer (Velleman K8200) for $AUD1300. It's a desk-top unit
that purely by chance I saw in operation at the local library a day or so
ago.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TL4020

More info on the kit: www.k8200.eu

The max dimensions of printed objects is 200 x 200 x 200 mm, which would be
too small for most outdoor dials, but could be ideal for prototyping
portable dials (e.g. armillary spheres, ring dials, etc.) The printed
resolution is: X and Y (wall thickness): 0.5 mm; Z: (layer thickness) 0.20 -
0.25 mm. Still not comparable to engraving, but an obvious harbinger of
things to come. If we think about how digital cameras and smart phones now
have amazing resolution, then most likely the resolution of these 3D
printers will be much better in a couple of years.

Software is Repetier: www.repetier.com

I have no idea how you enter specifications for an object. I found no
mention of CAD in my quick reading of material on the Repetier, so I guess
that they have some other way of doing it.

I have no doubt that similar printers are offered in most countries, and one
would be a Christmas present!

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.pick...@bigpond.com