Anne--

Thanks for your reply.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 4:26 AM, Bruvold Anne <
anne.bruv...@nordnorsk.vitensenter.no> wrote:

>  Just a comment from the far north on Dawn and Aurora:
> Aurora is the name of the light at dawn.

Yes, an edition of the Houghton Mifflin Dictionary gives these definitions
of "Aurora":

1. The Roman goddess of the dawn  2. The dawn  3. a) Aurora Borealis b)
Aurora Australis

...except that, in Roman and medieval times, "Aurora" didn't refer to the
dawn (the full arrival of Civil Twilight) itself, but to the _beginning_ of
the arrival of dawn. That's an important distinction.

My definition, above, is one that I've only found in one source: A library
book about time-reckoning throughout history. But its author evidently
researched, in detail, the several Roman/medieval words for significant
times during the morning. Though I only know of that one source that
supports my definition, it's the only source I've encountered that treats
the subject in detail at all.

An edition of Merriam-Webster gives the same definitions, except, in
different order:

1. Dawn  2. The Roman goddess of dawn  3. Aurora Borealis or Australis.

> The full name of green flaming bands visible at night in the far north and
> south is Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis. The name Aurora Borealis was
> given because the light as sees from middle Europe it resembles dawn, but
> was not dawn. Hence it got the addition Borealis. As the same phenomenon
> later was observed in the far south, the southern  version got the addition
> Australis.

Yes.

> Today the single word "Aurora" is no longer commonly used for the light at
> dawn, and is more often associated with the light phenomenon in the upper
> atmosphere.

Yes, I concede that nowadays "Aurora" is never, or nearly never, used with
its original meaning--the beginning of the arrival of dawn.   ...and that
it's always, or nearly always, used to refer to the upper-atmosphere
phenomenon of the far north and the far south.

I've never seen the Aurora Borealis, and I know that I've thereby been
missing something impressive.

Though I use the word "Aurora" with its original ancient meaning that's
practically unknown nowadays, it's the only word I know of, for that time
of morning--the beginning of the arrival of dawn.

I just don't know of any other word for it. It's something that people were
more familiar with long ago, when rising earlier, living closer to nature's
time, without any streetlights.

I envy people who live in Australia or Norway, and I don't mind admitting
that I'd quickly trade places.

Here in Florida, though not technically the tropics, it's tropical in a
number of ways: At summer-solstice noon, the sun is so nearly straight up
that a person can't really tell that it isn't. You can't find your shadow
unless you look straight down. In the summer, we're in the Trade Winds, the
tropical easterlies. I must say that I like the intense sunshine and the
warm "winter" temperature here, but the ultraviolet poses a skin-cancer
risk. My ancestors came from Northern Europe (Britain and Russia), and so
I'm not really designed for this latitude.

All sorts of insects and lizards everywhere. I've seen 5 alligators during
my 9 years in Florida.

Climate-wise, I like Florida, but I'd trade places because I've heard only
good things about Australia and Scandinavia.

Michael Ossipoff
26N,  80W