When giving the Time-Altitude formula, I should also mention that sometimes
its h answer should be reckoned with respect to north instead of south.

Of course, during the negative-declination half of the year, the sun is
always south of the east-west line, and h is always reckoned with respect
to south.

But, during the positive-declination half of the year, of course there's
part of the day when the sun is north of the east-west line. At those
times, the Time-Altitude formula's h answer is with respect to north
instead of south.

Of course that applies, likewise, to the Altitude-Watch approximation to
Time-Altitude.

So, when using those methods during the positive-declination half of the
year, it's best to calculate or estimate when the sun will cross the
east-west line.

That's so,  when the denominator of the Time formula for Az is zero. That's
when:

cos h = tan dec/tan lat.

If you don't have a calculator nearby when you want that answer, you can
approximate it by substituting dec and lat for their tangents.   ...if the
latitude is small, as it is where I reside, in Florida.

I should mention that of course it's often more convenient to multiply by
sec Alt than to divide by cos Alt.

sec Alt can be estimated directly from the shadow-casting object and its
shadow, or it can be gotten from
tan Alt, which might be easier to measure, or easier to judge directly from
the object and its shadow.

Michael Ossipoff