(I should clarify again that, for clarity, I like to capitalize _kinds_ of
whatever sort of thing I'm talking about...such as kinds of sundials or
hour-systems, though I realize that that capitalization is probably not
officially correct.)

Another closely-related interesting question is the matter of what _kind_
of hours are used. Of course every book or article on sundials points out
that, before mechanical clocks became widespread, civil time was measured
in "Temporary Hours", which divided the day, from sunrise to sunset, into
12 equal parts, and likewise divided the night, from sunset to sunrise,
into 12 equal parts.

Those books and articles nearly always imply or say that equal hours was a
new invention when it was adopted--that someone invented a new way to
designate time, and so it was adopted. Another frequent, and related,
statement or implication is that the Horizontal Dial was an innovation that
was came into use upon its invention because, before that, its possibility
was there, but just hadn't occurred to anyone.

But I read different. I read that Equal Hours were in use by astronomers
and astrologers long before they were adopted for civil time, and so they
were hardly a new invention at the time of their adoption for civil time.

In fact, look at a Hemispherium or Hemicyclium. Designed to read in
Temporary Hours, its hour-line, for a particular hour, crosses a different
Equal-Hours line, according to the declination. Whether those Temporary
Hours were drawn by calculation, or by empirical observation, it's plain
that it would have been obvious to the dial-maker that he was making the 3
p.m. hour-line cross different Equal-Hours lines at different solar
declinations.

One thing that I'm objecting to is that many of those books imply that
Temporary Hours are more primitive, and Equal Hours are something more
advanced that therefore, when invented, immediately replaced Temporary
Hours.

Primitive? Rather, a lot more complicated and laborious to make. For
sundials, and likewise for water-clocks.

People should be impressed by the ingenuity and determination of early
makers of sundials and water-clocks, who devised Temporary Hours markings
and mechanisms for them.

As for the Horizontal Dial, of course it's for Equal Hours. That's what
it's convenient for. Sure, Flat Dials, including Horizontal Dials, and
Polar Dials, and Equatorial Dials, and others, could have likewise been
made for Temporary Hours, but they wouldn't have been easier to mark than a
Hemicyclium. So it isn't surprising if the Horizontal Dial came into use
around the same time as Equal Hours.

What I read was that, though Equal Hours were well known and used by
astronomers and astrologers, no one wanted them for civil timekeeping.
Hence the effort and ingenuity used to devise Temporary Hours sundials and
water-clocks.

But, when the mechanical clock was invented, and came into relatively wide
use (as tower-clocks, and in some homes), it was so much simpler to make
clocks for Equal Hours, that, as a result, Equal Hours replaced Temporary
Hours, for that reason of pure manufacturing-practicality.

(By the way, were the early mechanical clocks, the Folliet Balance
intertially-slowed  clocks, without the fusee compensation, any more
accurate than water-clocks, which were much cheaper and easier to build?)

Temporary Hours surely made a lot of sense in agricultural societies, where
it must have been very important and practical for farmers to know what
percentage of the day remained. I don't advocate a return to Temporary
Hours, because, speaking for myself, it seems to me that finding what
percentage of the day is over, and how much or how little remains, seems a
bit pessimistic, and maybe not a good way to name the time of day.   ...but
I realize that it had practical importance in agricultural societies.

Michael Ossipoff