From: sundial [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of Steve
Lelievre
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:19 PM
To: Sundial Group <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Subject: Sunsweep sculpture

Hello,

Has anyone encountered the set of sculptures called Sunsweep by David Barr?
It consists of three pieces at sites along the Canada-USA border (Campobello
NB, Point Roberts WA, Lake of the Woods, MI) and together they are meant to
represent a conceptual arch symbolizing friendship between the two nations.
The 3 sites are geographically interesting - they are reachable by land from
the main part of their respective countries only by travelling through the
other country (pene-enclaves).

I was recently at Point Roberts and saw the piece located there.. There is a
plaque indicating that the piece is aligned to the North Star, the equinoxes
and the solstices. I found that the plane of the slab forming the sculpture
is aligned East-West but I could not see anything that matches the other
directions mentioned. Am I missing something? Perhaps the shape causes a
special shadow on the special dates?

You can find photos on the Web, for example at
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t9hlFDU5te0/UzWerhh1YLI/AAAAAAAAmQg/7gPHFqa8TFw/s1
600/Pt+Roberts+Sunsweep.JPG

The outer (upper) curved edge has a curious V profile, with the point of the
V switching from one side of the slab to the other as it progresses over the
length of the curve.  The inner or lower curved edge appears to be
perpendicular to the plan of the slab.  I could not see any markings on the
ground. To me, placement of the ring of stones around the base appears
insignificant.

Any thoughts?

Steve