Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 4:02 PM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Re: Permanent DST

In message <cacouayqb2vmbu9l9tcs9bsv_yqmn-wsveul89cx9k9racyt...@mail.gmail.com>
         Dan-George Uza <cerculdest...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear group,

We are witnessing a few interesting developments! After Turkey decided a
few months ago to remain on Daylight Saving Time all year round, Hungary is
now considering to do the same.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/hungary-mulls-staying-on-daylight-saving-time-all-year-round/

If the measure passes, neighboring countries Hungary and Romania will share
the same official time for half of the year although they are located in
different time zones (CET and EET respectively). For eastern Hungary the
sun sets at about 15:40 during winter, i.e more than an hour ahead of
Paris, which shares its time zone.

I'm wondering: aren't EU member states supposed to equally follow DST by
law?

Dan Uza

Hi, Dan

You are PARTLY correct - but (as I understand it), all EU member countries
must CHANGE their clocks on the SAME date, although they still keep their
individual Time-zones.  For example, UK and Ireland are on GMT, whereas
France/Germany are on CET, and countries such as Greece on CET + 1 hour.

There are other examples of locations which are on PERMANENT 'Daylight
Saving' time - for example here in Canada, the province of Saskatchewan
should really be in the 'Mountain' zone (GMT-7), but always STAYS in the
'Central' zone (GMT-6) and so does NOT change its clocks twice a year.

I am afraid that these things are always for the Politicians to decide!

Sincerely,

Isabella McFedries.