hi

Yes I've been finding yet more new British sundials on the internet and
compiling a list so hopefully they will get visited and recorded fully in the
Register.    Below is a simple text listing but a version with photos (~5 Mb)
is available from my Google drive at  http://bit.ly/2fyVpS4  (47-69)    The map
with all the dials marked is still available at  http://bit.ly/2aXDLq5
(Previous lists with photos are http://bit.ly/2b5p32J http://bit.ly/2c0qs6D &
http://bit.ly/2cbDnZF)

If you look at the map it will be obvious that there are more than 69 dials -
at last count there were 177.   I have added dial positions for my next batch
straight on to the map, and although i'm 99% confident they are new, the dials
from 70-87 havent' been checked by John Foad yet.      Also Graham Stapleton
has been adding new points sourced from elsewhere on the internet, as far as I
can tell from a mixture of geography.org.uk and hunting down anything called
"Sundial Cottage".   He's up to 90 so far, so that's a total of 177 new dials
to visit and record properly for the Register

Technical aside:  If you want to move from my Google map to a normal Google map
both Graham and I have tried wherever possible to create pin positions starting
from a location known to Google.   That way you get a clickable "Open in Google
Maps" in the pop up for each pin and can explore StreetView or get directions
etc.   In a small proportion of cases we have started from a fresh pin -  in
these cases the quickest way to get a normal Google Map of the same area is to
copy the lat.long from the pop up box and paste it straight into a Google
search box.

Anyway the new list of dials...  The stand out one for me is #51, a horizontal
glass dial above a church porch.

47)Llansantffraed Court , Clytha, Llanvihangel Gobion NP7 9BA

Border Sundials Armillary Sphere in grounds of Llansantffraed Court

48)Ringmore Road, Teignmouth, TQ14 0AH

Small horizontal over-looking the water front

49)The Walled Garden, Harewood House, Leeds, LS17 9LG

Typical country house horizontal

A “Listed” dial

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1226238

HAREWOOD PARK SE3044 LS17 SE308442
13/84 Sundial in centre of rectangular walled garden near YTV garden
GV II Sundial. Mid-late C18. Ashlar. Set in rectangular plinth is vase-shaped
pedestal with round top in which is set stone dial with copper gnomon. Dial is
engraved with Roman Numerals, sun and shadow of Greek key ornament. Set between
VIII and IV is "Lat : 53 : 58 OF HAREWOOD HOUSE".

50)Chumleigh Gardens, London, Chiswick, SE5 0RN

Nice modern horizontal.  Only marked 6 till 6 to leave room for art work

Not sure how you can get access to this , whether it is Restricted or Private

51)Saint John the Baptist Church, Ashbrittle, Somerset, TA21 0LE

2011 glass horizontal dial (yes really!) mounted over the porch door.
Designed to be read from underneath with lettering orientation to be read from
wall side (ie when you are coming out of the church).   Gnomon attached to the
porch wall.

52)The Torridon Hotel, By Achnasheen, Wester Ross, Scotland, IV22 2EY

Pilkington and Gibbs Helichronometer in the grounds of hotel.  Looks in good
condition if it left outside all the time.

53)Spencer’s House & Gardens, Great Yeldham, Essex

Horizontal Dial in country garden

54)Castle Leod, Strathpeffer,  IV14 9AA

Horizontal dial near to castle building

55)Sundial Cottage, 115 Towngate, Clifton , nr Brighouse HD6 4HR

Vertical dial on front wall of Sundial Cottage (Next to Clifton Methodist
Chapel), 115 Towngate, Clifton, nr Brighouse HD6 4HR

56)Between Owler Ings Road and Briggate, Brighouse, W Yorkshire, HD6 1EF

New armillary sphere donated by Rotary Club.   Between Owler Ings Road and
Briggate

57)Laugarne Castle, King St, Laugharne, Carmarthen SA33 4FA    Carmarthenshire

Horizontal dial on castle walls.   Well photographed dial so we know gnomon has
gone and been repaired in last few years.   Located in eastern edge of grounds
according to GeoGraph page

58)Union Wharf, Market Harborough, LE16 7UY

Large modern dial.  The gnomon is a large plank of wood supported by the figure
of an old canal worker.  Hour markings on a seat and continued onto the ground.

The canal basin was refurbished in 2000, with this sundial chosen by public
vote from three choices. The chosen favourite design, by Marjorie and Michael
Clements, depicts a stevedore picking up a piece of timber on to his shoulder
to stack on the wharf. Its made from a mixture of wood and metal, with
inscribed slabs arranged in a L shape on the surrounding area. Colloquially
called "Frank the Plank". The basin is much enlarged from its size in working
days, when it was about the same width as the warehouse building across the
end. (Now an Italian Restaurant.) The statue was erected by members of the Old
Union Canals Society. Frank works in numerous ways as a sun dial, see if you
can spot them all.

59)St Nicholas Church, Church Lane, Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire, WS15 3DD

Modern vertical dial on church tower

60)Long Compton, Warwickshire

Combined new village cross and sundial.    On the corner of A3400  and Butlers
Lane

61)St Mary’s Church, Folville St, Ashby Folville, Melton Mowbray LE14 2TE

Old cube dial with SE and SW faces

62)St Peters Church, Somerby Road, Knossington, Leicestershire, LE15 8LT

Modern vertical slate dial over church porch

63)The Forum Shopping Centre, Stevenage, SG1 1ES

David Harbour Armillary Sphere

64)Town Hall, Hall St, New Mills, Derbyshire, SK22 4AT

Memorial Vertical dial.    Delineation includes longitude correction and 1
degree declination to E.    Sundial is on 2 degree West meridian.

65)Campbell Park, Milton Keynes, MK9 4AE

Armillary sphere set in a grass maze in a public park.   NW corner of park

There are several other pieces public art that might count as a sundial, eg art
called "Gnomon" and "Light Pyramid" in the same park , but I dont’ think they
have any time telling ability.

http://www.theparkstrust.com/downloads/art-trail.pdf

66)Stockgrove Park, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 0BB

Human Analemmatic

67)Babington House, Green Hill, Wirksworth, Derbyshire, DE4 4EN

Vertical dial on old (listed) house

http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/X323.htm

68)Angel Spice Restaurant, 2-4 High St, Stilton PE7 3RA

Vertical (D) almost (S) on a wall that declines few degrees N of East!  Oops

69)Village Hall, Evenley, Brackley, Northants NN13 5WA

Small vertical dial on village hall

regards

Ian Maddocks
Chester UK