Wow. What can I say.

Your approach makes more sense in every way,  than the way that I'd been
trying to find how the bead-setting procedure could have been arrived at.

I'd wanted to start with various pairs of points, and then find out if any
of them are separated by a distance of sec lat sec dec.

But of course (now it's obvious) it makes a lot more sense to start with
sec lat sec dec, and find out if it can be made into a distance.   ...which
is of course how you approached the problem.

If we expect the distance on the dial to be a diagonal distance, then it
will be the sum of two squares, all in a square-root sign.

Most likely it will be a diagonal distance, which means the it will be the
sum of two squares, all in a square-root sign.

Of course it _needn't_ be a diagonal distance. It could be all horizontal
or all vertical. But, a lot of distances already on the dial are expressed
as tangents, and more could be. So, converting the sec to tan makes sense,
for a start.

The familiar identity that relates sec and tan involves their squares. That
suggests a diagonal distance, adding some confirmation to  the initial
impression that a diagonal distance might be more likely.

So (tan lat + 1) and (tan dec + 1) are multiplied together, resulting in
four terms, each of which is a square (...though of course the 1 needn't
snecessrily have been gotten by squaring--except that it wasn't gotten by
multiplying other numbers. So maybe it should be considered a square).

The fact that there are four squares suggests that the two squared
expressions are both binomials.   ...and that the squares' middle terms
cancel eachother out.

(Of course maybe the inventor didn't have a way to be sure that sec lat sec
dec can be written as a distance on the dial at all. But, if not, he
evidently checked out the possibility.)

So, if the four squares are the squares of the terms of two binomials, with
their middle terms canceling out, there are 3 ways in which the two
binomials could be assembled from the square roots of those four squares.

In a way, it doesn't matter which way it's done, as long as it results in a
distance. But, for that diagonal distance, of course it's necessary that
the two squared binomials reapresnt distances in mutually perpendicular
directions.

Well there's an obvious distance there, among the square-roots of those
terms: tan lat tan dec. It's horizontal, and is the distance of the
string-hang-point forward (sunward) from the middle vertical. And if the 1
is added to it, that's the horizontal distance of the string-hang-point
from the rear edge of the dial-card.

Of the square-roots of the other two terms, tan lat is the vertical
distance of the string-hang point above the main horizontal, the first
horizontal.

So that works--a horizontal distance and a vertical distance, which are
needed for a diagonal distance. And of course naturally (tan lat - tan dec)
would be a vertical distance from the string-hang-point, to the upper-end
of a line has been drawn across half the dial-card's 2-unit width, one end
on the first horizontal, with the line angled up by the declination-angle.

Since the horizontal distance suggested was from the string-hang-point to
the rear edge of the dial, and because the string-hang point is tan lat
above the first horizontal, then that suggests that the measurement should
be from the string-hang point, to a point that is tan dec above the first
horizontal, on the rear margin of the dial.

...leading to the Regiomontanus's way of setting the bead.

And, in that way, that beat-setting method is naturally arrived at.

So thanks for pointing out that natural approach, making choices than make
more sense than the approach I was considering.

Michael Ossipoff