Hi Roderick:

I also have a book on this number that makes the case that there is no such ratio. For example if you look at a photograph of something where do you put the markers to make the measurement?

It's interesting that 4x5, 8x10 film cameras have aspect ratios of 1.25. 35mm film cameras (36 x 24mm) have a ratio of 1.5 the same as most DSLR cameras, yet the most common printer paper aspect ratios are still 1.25 (4x5 or 8x10). But you can get 4x6 or 8x12" paper for an aspect ratio of 1.5. Note all of these are smaller than 1.618.....

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com