Show them sundials that can be explained to them. I think that people will
like something better, enjoy it more, if they know how it works.

As much as I like the Analemmatic Dial, I prefer (at least at first)
showing people sundials that they'd be willing to listen to an explanation
of.   ...or dials whose explanation is brief.

So, that would rule-out the Analemmatic, and declining flat dials, and
altitude dials.

The Horizontal Dial, closely derived from the Equatorial Dial, has a brief
and intuitive explanation. Likewise the South Vertical  Dial, the Polar
Dial, and any north or south Reclining Dial. (They're like Horizontal Dials
for different latitudes). (They could be summarized as any dial whose
plate's normal is in the plane of the meridian).

Of course the Equatorial Dials are the most obvious and natural of all, not
really requiring explanation. (By "Equatorial", I mean any dial that
directly shows a shadow's or lightspot's movement around the equatorial
plane by uniformly-spaced marks around a circle in that plane)

My favorite for a south windowsill is the Circumference-Aperture
Cylinder-Equatorial, but I'd want to include, with it, at least a
*description* of the geometric demonstration of its principle. (My
girlfriend doesn't care for geometry or math, but she's going to hear about
the geometry of a Circumference-Aperture Cylindrical-Equatorial.)

Declining flat dials, altitude dials, the Analemmatic Dial, and the
Circumference-Aperture Cylinder-Equatorial are good ways of inspiring
interest in, and demonstrating, some geometry or astronomical mathematics.
Emphasize to  the person, that those subjects are relevant and interesting,
and useful.

It seems to me that those dials would be especially a good idea for school
math classes, or for when someone's child is taking such courses.

Michael Ossipoff