Thank you to everyone who has replied to my question about the labeling of noon.

Summary of responses received:

Due to space constraints, a label of XII is sometimes replaced by something narrower. I'll hazard a guess that the use of Roman I, in the example I saw at Knox United Church, Vancouver, is pretty unusual. Using it to mark noon on a solar hours dial seems to be a potential source of confusion (well, it confused me).

I like the idea of a Cross Pattee as mentioned by Patrick Power, or the N mentioned by Don Snyder. I think I'll use one or the other of these symbols for any dials I make in the future, although the latter wouldn't work for all languages.

Roger Bailey mentioned that digit zero is often used for the same purpose. That is another option previously unnoticed by me but, in a remarkable coincidence, it was in a photo sent to me earlier that day by Sasch Stephens, and then the next day I encountered an identical dial in Kelowna BC.

According to Wikipedia, these dials' depiction of a winged hourglass represents "tempus fugit" ("time flies"). There seem to be plenty of other dials, at least in North America, that use the winged hourglass, and also 0 for noon for that matter. See, for example, the dials illustrating Don Synder's paper about the dial at Jefferson Barracks near St. Louis MO.

Photo of Kelowna dial: https://tinyurl.com/y7msj68h

Note about winged hourglass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hourglass

Don Snyder's paper about Jefferson Barracks: http://dls-website.com/documents/JeffersonBarracksSundial.pdf

Cheers,