Good points.

From: Steve Lelievre <steve.lelievre.can...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 1:26 PM
To: Schechner, Sara <sche...@fas.harvard.edu>; john.davi...@btopenworld.com
Cc: Sundial List <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Subject: Re: Bird shapes in gnomons

On 2018-11-01 7:49 a.m., Schechner, Sara wrote:
I would not speculate that there was any mix or match; real evidence is needed.

Yes, I agree that evidence is needed.

I have seen the same gnomon casting used for different dial faces, and the same
dial face with different gnomons. I supposed  it could be from allowing
customers to mix-and-match (or even the manufacturer treating parts as
swappable), but on reflection I realize it is equally as likely to happening in
the second-hand market as vendors discard broken or corroded parts and
reassemble 'complete' dials from what's left.

Steve