At the NASS conference in 2005 in Chicago, Stephen Luecking gave a Rope
Geometry Workshop, "Laying Out a Sundial on the Landscape Using Ancient
Rope Geometry".This was based on his paper "Rope Geometry: History and
Methods" These described other methods for telling time with rope,different
from Marchants . People used what they had at hand.

Roger Bailey