Van: sundial <sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de> Namens Frank King
Verzonden: maandag 11 maart 2024 10:02
Aan: Sundial List <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Onderwerp: Photograph of the Princess of Wales

Dear All,

There is much talk about the recent photograph of the Princess of Wales and
her children.

In one newspaper I read that "a former digital forensics officer for Dorset
Police said...

   'In a true image, the shadows will all be
   in the same direction as the light'"

Huh!

He has clearly never looked at a sundial!

He may mean 'in the opposite direction' but that isn't true either.
Moreover, shadows do not necessarily align.

A Double Horizontal sundial works precisely because its two shaodws are
(generally)in different directions.

Of course, a shadow CAN be in the same direcion as the light.  I'll leave
that as an exercise for the reader :-)

Frank King
Cambridge, UK